Friday, March 6, 2009

My Gateway Drug

Despite yesterday's outburst of bitterness over being unemployed, there is an upside. It's one that has fulfilled some part of me. The part that needs to be creative. That is the part I was born with. Well, I mean I was born with all my parts (thank God!) but I am not talking physically. Ever since I was a child I always loved creating, whether it be modeling with play-doh, or actually making it from scratch. I would feel the need for more colors on my 8 color watercolor palette and start mixing. Although all I ever got there was brown. The books with the magic pens that you colored on and the colors appeared just frustrated me. I wanted to choose and coordinate my own colors. And I am still that way, although it's gotten worse. In a good way though and I blame scrapbooking. You know what they say about marijuana being the gateway drug? That's what scrapbooking was for me, my gateway drug. Gateway into a world of paper crafts, stamping, embossing, it even got me back into painting.
On the brink of this gateway was where "My Life in 12X12 " began. Well it was actually a very slow day at work and I needed to occupy myself. (Did I just say slow day at work? I miss those days.) Anyway, at that time, scrapbooking was what I was doing. That has definitely shifted. I still love living my life in 12X12 but now there is more. I found ATC's which led me to swaps which led me to chunky books which led me to...and here I sit. Blogging about the world of create in which I know live. It's a pretty good place to be. It keeps me busy, gives a purpose and makes me feel better about myself. Plus it's really fun! I posted a few new links to the right, some new places I have been hanging out. Come say hello!

My first chunky page:



This is the poem:
Dreams by Langston Hughes
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barrem field
Frozen with snow.

No comments: